I was goofing off, replying to comments on Facebook, when I realized that most of the answers that come to mind are lines from songs. So then I got to thinking (and then I got to weeping / I really had a flash this time / Gonna set my watch back to it / ‘cause you know I’ve been through it …) about lines that resonate in the memory (as a madman shakes a dead geranium, and yes, I KNOW that’s not from a song).
What fun. Let’s play at lists. Lines – lines from songs - that you think are great. Or maybe almost great. Or maybe just lines that stick in the mind. (Nothing from Robindro Shongeet, that needs a whole separate volume.) And while we’re at it, cokernuts all round if you get the sources for all of mine.
· How terribly strange to be seventy
· And the flowers bloom like madness in the spring
· Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose
· In sooney andherey aankhon mein / aansoo ke jagah aata hai dhuan
· Jee mein aata hai tere daman mein sar chhupa kar hum rote rahein
· I sit by the window and I watch the cars roll by / I fear I’ll do some damage one fine day
· Jo aankh se naa tapka woh lahoo kya hai
· Forsaken, almost human, he sank beneath his wisdom like a stone
· Ko jon aar hridoy diye gaaitey jaane
· And the Indian said, Nothing at all
· Wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave. No-one was saved.
· Just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea
· Ei aaNdhaarey, megher-o chhaya-e, akasho paarey
· The arc of a love affair / His hands rolling down her hair / Love like lightning shaking till it moans
· Hum thahar jaayen jahan, usko shahar kahte hain
· To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free / silhouetted by the sea
· Bhuley jaao phike chNapa rong ti tomaye manaye bhari
· It’s the dirty story of a dirty man, and his clinging wife doesn’t understand
· I was lying in a burned out basement with the full moon in my eyes
· And how many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn’t see
· Borney gondhey chhondey geeti-te, hridoye diyechho dola
· But she breaks like a little girl
· And so it goes, and so will you too I suppose
More to come, I’m sure.
Idea from KM - This Can Be A Meme.
Meh, Mame, May We?